FAKE BRACES VS REAL BRACES! :DR.DEBBIE
Hello everyone! Let me introduce you to one of my patients, Mr.Rad, who came to visit me at KPF last week and requested for removal of ‘fake braces’. He complained of general teeth sensitivity and there are no improvements on his teeth condition even after a few months wearing it!
Mr.Red is a very compliant, motivated patient and upon my advice, he agreed to remove the ‘fake’ braces and to undergo proper orthodontic treatment in KPF.
You might ask, what is the difference between ‘fake’ braces and ‘real’ braces?
Most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about fake braces:
WHAT IS IT ?
It is a set of appliances fixed onto teeth , similar to those fixed orthodontic appliances bonded up by DENTISTS in dental clinics.
Not done in the clinic! ( eg: done in house by the buyer, services provided by non-dentists to fix the fake braces in hotel or his/her house)
HOW LONG CAN IT LAST?
It might last 3-5 months only, as the glue which attached the fake braces to teeth cannot stick well anymore.
Much cheaper $$ compared to dental clinic (less than RM1XXX) ,
But at the end, you might need to spend more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to reverse & fix its detrimental effects on your teeth!
HOW DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
The brackets are not placed along long axis of teeth, not centred , sometimes far too gingivally (close to gum) . Often there are no brackets on upper and lower molars as well!
The wire used is simple straight wire, not preformed nor pre-packed in individual sterilized packaging.
Besides that, excessive resin/glue can be found around brackets .
WHY IS IT DANGEROUS?
- Components of fake braces are unknown! We will never know if it contains harmful substances such as lead !
- The appliances and instruments used might not be sterilized .( materials and instruments should be AUTOCLAVED to ensure it is bacteria,virus,fungi,spores FREE!)
- The appliances might corrode!
- Teeth might not straighten and it may worsen the condition!
- Gingival recession (long teeth appearance, causing sensitivity !)
- Teeth might become mobile/shaky!
- Might cause teeth decay and bleeding gum!
- Excessive glue used may cause food impaction and subsequently dental caries!
WHEN TO VISIT DENTAL CLINIC?
IMMEDIATELY .Please let your dentist to assess your oral condition and carry out appropriate dental treatments. Remember, It is never too late to save your teeth!
See you soon in Klinik Pergigian Fauziah!